Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mayflower -- Question 15

Nathaniel Philbrick did not pick sides in his description of the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. Philbrick's goal wasn't to tell the story from the side of the Indians or the English, it was to give an accurate account of the happenings of the Mayflower, Pilgrims, and Indians. I don't think Philbrick's main point in writing his book was to throw moral lessons in our faces, but I do believe it is tremendously hard to walk away from this book without taking a moral lesson or two with you. One moral lesson I took away from the book was, that things change throughout the years, and that the morals and standards of one time can turn completely upside down for another generation. And we should all do our best to preserve the hard work people before us have accomplished so many things with. I also found that not to abuse your treaties, or "friendships", was the most prominent moral lesson in the book. The second generation Pilgrims kind of abused the Indiands and the treaties they made with the Indians. Over all, I thought it was an interesting book, I learned a lot about the Mayflower I never knew, or probably would have ever known.

1 comment:

  1. All of your responses to the Mayflower questions are of the high quality that IS the A-Dizzle trademark.

    ReplyDelete