Friday, July 30, 2010

Mayflower -- Question 8

Whenever I think of the "Hollywood Indian," I think of the Indians in the Disney cartoon movie, "Peter Pan." I think anyone would know what I am talking about, the Indians that wear big feather hats, paint their faces, smoke odd pipes, and say "how" for hello. Of course Hollywood stretches the truth with the Indians, or anything else. But, I haven't really seen a lot of Indian movies. So, from what I read in the Mayflower and all the other Indian accounts I have witnessed, they seem pretty similar. One thing I never really saw in a movie that surprised me when I read this book, was how willing the Indians could be to make peace. Normally, Indians are portrayed as violent and hostile. But, in this book, for the most part, the Indians were very cooperative. That is, until the English abused the peace treaty and began to take advantage of the Indians. One thing was very similar in the book was the war style of the Indians; how they were great hunters, and could move through the woods better than any Englishman.

No comments:

Post a Comment